Regarding the 2018 Square-D safety switch recall (specifically, the Brand General Duty, 120/240 volt, 30 and 60 amperes, safety switches manufactured from January 1st, 2014 - January 18th, 2018, date codes 1401 – 1803, built to UL 98 standard). Here are a few points to consider:
1. This is not a recall by Square D; it is a Safety Notice.
2. Square D has released formal and legally binding documentation stating:
- the inspection requirements per their QA/QC procedures, and
- that once completed the product is safe to install and operate
3. This inspection can be done once the item is installed, so the inspector themselves can complete the inspection.
4. Square-D has stated all of these details on their website, and includes an inspection video if there is any question about the procedure. They show an example of a switch that is non-conforming to make sure everyone understands what the safety alert is referring to. Since the safety alert has been released there has been (0) non-conforming switches found in the field or sold to customers.
5. Here is written confirmation from Square-D regarding the alert, the inspection procedure, and a confirmation that this is the intended process by the manufacturer.
For questions, please contact Schneider Electric Recovery Administration at (877) 672-1953, refer to PRB-207512